WordPress is among the most popular platforms used for publishing. WordPress can be used for your personal or commercial blogs and also for your online businesses.
The best thing about it is that you can easily customize it without having much coding knowledge. The more knowledge you have about the WordPress, the more easily you can manage your blogs and websites.
For this purpose, plenty of online tutorials and websites are available to help you with understanding the concepts about WordPress.
Tutorial websites allow you to handle different WordPress problems and improve your overall knowledge about the WordPress.
Table of Contents:
- 10 Best WordPress Tutorial Sites to Help You Understand WordPress
- Websites to Help You Improve Your Knowledge of WordPress
- The Ultimate Roundup of WordPress Tutorials, Themes and Guides
10 Best WordPress Tutorial Sites to Help You Understand WordPress
In this section, we have collected 10 best WordPress tutorial sites that provide you proper knowledge on WordPress and its features.
There are plenty of great tutorials available on this site that can properly guide you about how to use the WordPress. It has different categories including: WordPress for the Beginners, Designing your WordPress site, and Website Development.
You can learn the basic knowledge as well as the using the advanced features of WordPress through these tutorials. The website is free of cost and anyone can learn through available tutorials.
Some of their popular tutorials are:
2. Tuts Plus
Tuts Plus offers plenty of courses and books but, you can also find tutorials on their website. It is updated frequently, and the quality of the tutorials is excellent.
Most of the tutorials are about WordPress theme development and plugins. All the tutorials are easy to understand, giving the best learning experience to the reader. The tutorials are free of cost and anyone come visit the site to learn from them.
Some of their popular tutorials include:
- Creating Custom Fields
- An Introduction to Keeping WordPress Lean
- Building the Plugin I
- Restore Admin Menu Separators
- List Posts by Post Type
Smashing Magazine is known as one of the most famous design websites online. Many popular WordPress themes have been released under their name.
There are tutorials available for both intermediate and advance level users. Tutorials are free but these are only published once in a month.
Some of popular tutorials include:
- What You Need to Know about WordPress 3.9
- WordPress Performance Improvements That Can Go Wrong
- Better Dependency Management in Team-Based WordPress
- How WordPress Came to Be and Where It’s Heading
- Modifying Admin Post Lists in WordPress
Level up tuts provides a great learning environment related to WordPress. You will find both basic and advanced level tutorials on this site.
The tutorials are available in the form of series. You can choose the one which you like. All the tutorials available on the website are free and anyone can learn from them.
Some of the tutorial series include:
- Magento Community Tutorials
- WordPress Basics
- Customizing WordPress
- Android Development Tutorials
- HTML5 Tutorials
iThemes WordPress tutorials include plenty of video tutorials. Plenty of tutorials are available about customizing the WordPress and styling the website with using CSS. The tutorials available are free of cost.
Some of their famous tutorials include:
- Creating Product Variants in iThemes Exchange
- iThemes Sync Overview
- Exchange Add-on: Custom URL Tracking
- Managing Themes in iThemes Sync
- Exchange Add-on: Featured Video
Wphub provides you everything that you want to know about WordPress. The site offers premium WordPress themes, plugins and hosts. The site also features some high quality tutorials to help out anyone who wants to learn the basics about WordPress.
All the tutorials available on the website are free. You can easily read them.
Some of the most popular tutorials that Wphub features include;
- WordPress, Linux Server and Database Options
- Creating a Responsive Navigation Menu in WordPress
- Making a Simple Theme
- Understanding the WordPress Plugin API
- How to Configure a WordPress Theme
Wpmudev contains all sorts of tutorials related to WordPress, large and small, simple and complex. You will find the range from beginners to the expert levels.
All the tutorials are absolutely free and you can easily read them. The tutorial articles are divided into different parts because of the length of articles.
Some of the popular tutorials are:
- Focus Your WordPress Front Page
- The Most Overlooked Route To A Successful WordPress Site
- Keep Unsatisfied Visitors from Leaving Your WordPress Site
- Give Your WordPress Site Security
- Display Your WordPress Posts in a Facebook-Style Timeline
Digwp is a perfect way to learn about WordPress. The blog provides quick tips, and copy and pastable codes.
Along with all these, tutorials are also provided so that everyone can learn the most basic and advanced stuff about WordPress. The tutorials are free and you can easily go to the site to learn from them.
Some of the popular tutorials include:
- Backup and Restore Theme Options
- H5 Theme Update
- Disable Default Dashboard Widgets
- Getting Background Updates to Work
- DIY Alternative to WordPress SEO Plugins
Wpbeginner allows you to extend your power about WordPress. This provides step-by-step WordPress tutorials that are very easy to understand and follow the best practices of the WordPress.
Their WordPress tutorials contain real-life examples, tips, and hacks that allows you to learn WordPress faster. The tutorials are free of cost. You can easily go and read them.
Some of the popular tutorials are:
- How to Install WordPress on a USB Stick Using XAMPP
- How to Unblock Limit Login Attempts in WordPress
- How to Remove the Login Shake Effect in WordPress
- How to Prevent YouTube from Overriding Your WordPress Content
- How to Insert Ads within Your Post Content in WordPress
10. WP Squared
WP Squared is a blog for WordPress but contains many tutorials for the readers. The tutorials are focused on configuring plugins and themes for the website. All the tutorials are available in the form of guides which are in excellent quality.
All the tutorials are free and you can read them to improve your WordPress understanding.
Some of the popular tutorials include:
- How to Survey Your Readers with a Google Forms-powered Survey
- Manage Multiple Sites for Free with MainWP
- How to Sell Digital Downloads with WordPress
- Power-Up your WordPress Sidebars and Widgets
- Add a Table of Contents and In-Post Pagination to WordPress
You can learn all you want related to WordPress from these tutorials. The purpose of these tutorials is to improve your knowledge about WordPress so that you can achieve the most out of it.
I hope you found the article useful. Share it with others as well. If you want to add more websites to the list, just write them in the below comment section.
In this section we will represent some more website where you can further improve your knowledge of WordPress.
Websites to Help You Improve Your Knowledge of WordPress
We recently did a round-up of some of the leading design blogs that you need to follow in order to stay up to date with the latest trends in the design world. In this article we take a look at some blogs and websites that cover WordPress. Most, if not all, design blogs have WordPress-related articles. However, these blogs deal specifically (and, in most cases, ONLY) with WordPress. Also, not all of the websites below are ‘blogs’ – some of them are feed aggregators, some are design showcases and wpMail.me is an email newsletter. However, they are all related to WordPress.
1. WordPress Arena
WordPress Arena offers articles related to WP themes, plugins, tutorials and offers some freebies. The website also has a WordPress ‘Showcase’ which features various sites that are built on WordPress.
2. WordPress Planet
WordPress Planet is not really a blog – it is an aggregator collecting posts related to WordPress.
As the name suggests, WordPress.tv provides videos related to WordPress.
Weblog Tools Collection is one of the most popular WP-related blogs out there – it features theme updates, news, plugin updates and other similar articles.
5. WordPress Tavern
WordPress Tavern is another very popular WP-related blog that features articles and opinion pieces on some of the recent happenings all across the internet pertaining to WordPress.
Some Other Noteworthy Options:
6. WP Engineer
11. Planet WordPress (feed aggregator, not a blog)
13. WP Force
14. WP Garage
16. WP Recipes
17. Theme Shaper
19. WP Mayor
20. WordPress Hacks
23. WP Modder
24. Yoast (Blog)
25. WordPress Tutorials (feed aggregator, not a blog)
26. The WP Guru
27. WP Inspiration
28. We Love WP
30. WordPress Mods
32. WPWebHost Blog
33. wpMail.me (email newsletter)
34. Pippin’s Plugins
Since no list of websites on any given subject can ever be deemed ‘complete’, I’m sure there are many WordPress-related websites that I’ve missed. Feel free to add to the list by commenting below!
Let’s now look at some great tutorials and other resources that can help you learn and work more efficiently.
The Ultimate Roundup of WordPress Tutorials, Themes and Guides
WordPress is the most popular blog software in use today. Also developers number is growing so every developer is interested with WordPress development to offer better products for his clients. One of the great things about working with WordPress and developing your own themes is the community and all of the resources that are available. If you’re not sure how to do something or looking to see what solutions other theme designers and developers are using, you can find plenty of information and tutorials to help.
Today, I prepared a good selection of the best resources to learn this wonderful blog and CMS covering every thing from books, tutorials, tricks and tips … Hope you will enjoy this collection !
WordPress Essentials and Basics:
This section includes some official resources for the WordPress community and some general articles that will help you to get more out of your development for WordPress.
- Installing WordPress – This is an official WordPress.org tutorial showing how to install WordPress. Also if you want to install it locally you can take a look at this Installing WordPress Locally.
- WordPress Support Forums – If you need anything or you have something going wrong with your WordPress blog you can always ask for information.
- WordPress Docs – This WordPress.org section contains everything you need about WordPress to get started.
- You’ve Installed WordPress, So What’s Next? – A great overview of steps you should take after you’ve installed WP.
- The Ultimate Guide to Setting Up WordPress after an Install – A complete guide to what to do once you’ve installed WP, from Pro Blog Design.
- 10 Things to Do After Installing WordPress – A list of 10 must-do steps to take after installing a fresh copy of WordPress.
WordPress Theme Roundups, Theme Templates, and Theme Frameworks:
Below you will find a wide variety of theme roundups, theme frameworks for building your own themes, and premium theme sites.
- WordPress PSD Framework – A free PSD template that includes all the common elements in a WP design for you to build on.
- WordPress Theme Generator – An online theme generator that doesn’t require any coding knowledge.
- Thematic – This is one of the most advanced theme frameworks available.
- Carrington – A free WP CMS theme framework that includes two browser versions and a mobile version.
Themes And Templates:
- 41 Great Looking Free WordPress Themes – A roundup of beautiful free themes.
- 140+ Brilliant Free WordPress Themes Around – A roundup of some excellent free WP themes.
- 17 Free and Best WordPress Themes – A small roundup of excellent WP themes.
- 3-Column WordPress Theme Gallery – Includes a large number of excellent 3-column themes.
- 45+ Free Premium WordPress Themes with Magazine or Grid Layouts – An excellent roundup of free magazine-style and grid themes.
- 40 Awesome and Fresh WordPress Themes – A good collection of well designed WordPress themes.
- 15 Fresh WordPress Themes to Get the Coolest Portfolio for You or Your Studio – A collection of portfolio-styled WP themes.
- 25 Best Free WordPress Themes – An absolutely amazing roundup compiled by EliteFreelancing.com of gorgeous WP themes.
- 14 Most Visually Appealing Free WordPress Themes – A small collection of beautiful and elegant themes.
- Best WordPress Themes Collection – A roundup of excellent paid WP themes.
- 30 Free Magazine/Grid Style WordPress Themes – A compilation of 30 excellent magazine and grid style WP themes.
- 100 Excellent Free WordPress Themes – An excellent roundup of high-quality themes from Smashing Magazine.
- 83 Beautiful WordPress Themes You (Probably) Haven’t Seen Yet – While this post is a couple of years old and you probably have seen many of the themes on it, it’s still a great roundup of gorgeous designs.
- 45+ Must See WordPress Themes – A categorized roundup of themes compiled by Noupe.
- WordPress Rainbow: 35 Colorful Free WordPress Themes – A great roundup of bright and colorful free themes.
- Great Green WordPress Themes – A wonderful collection of WP themes with a green color scheme.
- 25 Artistic Themes for WordPress – A great roundup of artsy WP themes.
- 15 Portfolio Themes for WordPress – A great roundup of themes perfect for portfolio sites.
- 50 Beautiful Free WordPress Themes – A roundup of stunning WP themes.
Now Let’s move to the best sites where you can find premium and free WordPress designs and templates:
- WordPress.org – The official theme repository from WordPress, with nearly 1,000 free themes available.
- Top WP Themes – A directory of free themes, many with a corporate or professional look.
- Themes2WP.com – A categorized directory with more than a thousand themes.
- Elegant Themes – Another great premium themes site that allows unlimited access for less than $20.
- Obox Theme Shop – A premium theme site with some really awesome themes available with single-site licenses or developer licenses.
- StudioPress – Premium WP theme site that lets you download themes individually or as a package.
- NattyWP – Another club-based premium themes site.
- ThemeForest – One of the best sites where you can buy premium WordPress themes.
Theme Development Tutorials:
The tutorials listed here will walk you step-by-step through the process of creating a WordPress theme.
- Designing for WordPress: Complete Series & Downloads – This is a series of video screencasts by Chris Coyier. It is a three-part series which covers downloading and installing WordPress on a server all the way to a completed theme.
- So You Want to Create WordPress Themes, Huh? – This tutorial is from wpdesigner.com showing how to create WordPress themes.
- Creating a WordPress Template – Here’s a tutorial series for creating a WP template.
- How to Create WordPress Themes from Scratch: Part 1, 2, 3a, and 3b – This is another step by step tutorial from themetation.com.
- How to Create a WordPress Theme in 5 Minutes – This tutorial shows how to create a WordPress theme in few minutes.
- How To Create a WordPress Theme: The Ultimate WordPress Theme Tutorial – This tut demonstrates how to build a powerful, up-to-date, WordPress Theme from scratch.
Tutorials and Tips :
There are far too many tutorials and hacks for theme designers and developers to list here, and a number of excellent collections have already been put together by other bloggers. Above you will find some of the best tutorials and other collections.
- Create An Awesome WordPress Theme Options Page (Part 1) – A tutorial for creating a theme options panel in the backend of WP.
- WordPress Loop: Get Posts Published Between Two Particular Dates – A great guide to retrieving and displaying posts published during a specific time frame.
- Leopard: How to Install WordPress – A tutorial for creating a local installation of WP on Mac OS X Leopard.
- Premium WordPress Theme Design Part 1—The Photoshop Mock Up – The first in a series of tutorials for creating a premium-style WP theme.
- Customize Your WordPress Login – Learn how to customize the look of your WP login screen.
- WordPress Custom Fields; Laying Text Over Your Lead Graphic – A tutorial that shows you how to add a text overlay to your graphics.
- 5 Useful WordPress Functions You Didn’t Know Existed – A rundown of five great WP functions most people have never heard of.
- Power Tips for WordPress Template Developers – An excellent resource from Smashing Magazine of advanced techniques useful to template and theme developers.
- How to: Make a Control Panel for Your WordPress Theme – A tutorial for creating a customization menu in the backend. for your WP theme.
- WordPress Ajax Commenting Revisited – A tutorial for creating your own ajax comment system.
- How To: Adding an Author Page to Your WordPress Blog – A fantastic tutorial for creating an “about the author” page on your blog.
- Displaying Author Meta Information in WordPress 2.8 – An excellent tutorial for displaying the meta information included about authors within the front-end of your WP site.
- Display Thumbnails for Related Posts in WordPress – A tutorial for displaying the WP-generated thumbnail images for your posts in a related posts list.
- How to Set Up Pretty Permalinks in WordPress – A guide to creating pretty permalinks from ThemeLab.
- HOW TO: Create a jQuery Carousel with WordPress Posts – An excellent tutorial for creating a carousel to display WP posts from a specific category.
- Customize WordPress Theme to Match an Existing Website: A Step-by-Step Blog Integration Tutorial – Create a WP theme that matches an existing website design for seamless integration.
- How to Only Show Posts With a Specific Custom Field – A quick tutorial for showing posts with content in a specific custom field.
- Top 50 WordPress Tutorials
- 135+ Ultimate Round Up of WordPress Tutorials
- 60+ Awesome WordPress Tutorials
- 10 Useful WordPress Hook Hacks
- 10 Handy WordPress Comments Hacks
- 10 Useful WordPress Loop Hacks
- Custom Field Hacks for WordPress
- 8 Useful WordPress SQL Hacks
- 20+ Tutorials and Resources for Working with Custom Fields in WordPress
- 30 Tutorials Combining Both WordPress and jQuery
- 30 Excellent WordPress Video Tutorials
- 23+ Excellent Tutorials for WordPress Theme Developers
- Top 10 Tutorials for Developing WordPress Themes
- 26 Complete WordPress Blog Design Tutorials
- The Ultimate Guide To WordPress Hacks And Customizations
WordPress Plugins :
- WordPress Plugins and Tutorials – A great roundup of categorized plugins, with a few articles and tutorials included at the end.
- Top 10 Characteristics of a Great WordPress Plugin – An excellent guide that should be referred to by anyone developing, or even just using, WP plugins.
- 12 WordPress Plugins for Theme Development – A great list of plugins essential for theme developers.
- Top 35 Plugins of WordPress to Share Your Blog Post – A great roundup of plugins that make it easier for your visitors to share your blog’s content.
- 13 of the Best WordPress Plugins – A list compiled by David Airey of the best WP plugins, including All in One SEO Pack and cforms II.
- 6 Best Facebook WordPress Plugins – A collection of six plugins for integrating your WordPress blog and your Facebook profile or page.
- 20 of the Best SEO Plugins for WordPress – A collection of great plugins to improve your SEO, compiled by Mashable.
- 30+ Must Have WordPress Plugins – Another roundup of essential WP plugins.
- 10 WordPress Plugins Guaranteed to Save You Time – This is a great collection of plugins compiled by Six Revisions to make you a more efficient blogger.
- 70 Best WordPress Plugins to Supercharge Your Blog – A comprehensive list of awesome plugins, including Broken Link Checker and Comment Timeout.
- The Best WordPress Plugins – A short review of some of the best WP plugins out there.
- 30+ Plugins for WordPress Comments – A great roundup of comments-related plugins compiled by Mashable.
- 10 of the Best WordPress Contact Form Plugins to Choose From – A roundup of some of the best contact plugins available.
- Top 30 WordPress Plugins That Are Actually Useful! – An awesome roundup from Speckyboy Design Magazine of incredibly useful plugins, including FireStats and WASABI Related Post.
- 20 New, Useful and Promising WordPress Plugins – A roundup of twenty great WP plugins.
Tricks and Hacks :
- 5 Great WordPress Hacks – A small roundup of hacks, including sending pages to Twitter and listing all of the authors on your blog.
- 13 Vital Tips and Hacks to Protect Your WordPress Admin Area – A compilation of security hacks for WP admin.
- 10 Tips to Improve Your WordPress Theme – A great rundown of theme customizations that make your site more user-friendly.
- 10 Most Wanted Category Hacks and Plugins for WordPress – A great rundown of category hacks, including displaying the most recent posts within a specific category and excluding certain categories from being displayed in a loop.
- 10 Awesome .htaccess Hacks for WordPress – A great collection of .htaccess hacks, including removing/category/ from your WP URLs and how to redirect visitors to a maintenance page.
- 10 Killer WordPress Hacks – A roundup of great hacks from Smashing Magazine, including displaying AdSense ads only to search engine visitors and replacing the “next” and “previous” page links with pagination.
- 30+ New Useful WordPress Tricks & Hacks – This post from Hong Kiat shows more than thirty new hacks and tricks to customize your WP installation.
- 40+ Most Wanted WordPress Tricks and Hacks – A roundup of great hacks compiled by Hong Kiat.
- 30+ (More) Most Wanted WordPress Tips, Tricks and Hacks – Another roundup from Hong Kiat of great WP customizations.
WordPress Books :
There is a good number of WordPress books but I recommend the books above :
Digging Into WordPress
A book by Chris Coyier and Jeff Starr. Digging into WordPress is the best book I have seen for WordPress designers and developers. I have the PDF version, but a print version is now available as well.
How to Be a Rockstar WordPress Designer
A great book from Envato written by Collis Ta’eed and Harley Alexander.
WordPress Cheat Sheet:
- 13 Helpful Cheat Sheets for Building WordPress Themes – A great roundup of cheat sheets helpful to WP theme designers.