Project management and collaboration skills play a major role in every business and often the outcome of a project is highly affected by the initial planning and monitoring stages of a project. Project management is especially important for small and flexible businesses where all the work is based on a few people who have to communicate and develop the workflow. Globalization has made collaboration even more essential since many modern businesses like web design agencies don’t even have a constant address – people all around the world are working from their home.
Web-based online project management tools are the top choice of hundreds of entrepreneurs and thousands of small and medium size businesses. These tools will maximize your productivity, organization, and help you keep on top of your projects effortlessly. Keep track of your projects, manage your workers, set milestones, schedule your work, upload your files, send invoices, sync with your mobile – all of these features and more make these apps almost necessary.
Continue reading if you’re looking for your first project management app or just seeking to check out alternatives. Most of these tools come with a fixed monthly price, some of them you’ll have to pay for per user and month. Also a trial period is available with most of them so you’ll have the chance to examine and check out if it’s the right choice. Each description contains brief features the service offers as well as the pricing plans.
Table of Contents:
- What Are The Top Online Project Management Tools
- 20 Cool IFTTT Recipes To Automate Your Online Activities
- 6 Tips to Stay Focused on Project Deadlines
- Getting Real Feedback For Your New Design
- The Most Useful Google Products You Should Consider Using Daily
What Are The Top Online Project Management Tools in 2016?
With a lot to choose from it might be frustrating to find the right app for you. This article presents some of the best project management and collaboration tools out there. There are also tools for brainstorming ideas, hosting conversations and even managing a newsroom. Each of them share common general features, however each of them also has something unique to offer.
Before I go with the general list, I would highly recommend for you to check ASANA – it is hands down my favourite tool I have ever used and if you give it a proper go, you’ll thank me later!
It’s free for teams until 15 members, so for most people, you won’t even pay for the greatest piece of software – it has everything..just check it out!
Teambox is voted the best online project collaboration software for project managers, contractors, freelancers and teams. Teambox is the pioneer in joining social collaboration tools with online project management. It’s mission is to change the way people work by making it easier and more fun to get things done.
- Teambox Projects consist of conversations, task lists, pages and file storage.
- Share ideas, files, images and video. Discuss details and solve problems, stay alert thanks to email notifications.
- Simple, fast and linear task creation. Add due dates and task owners in seconds. Quickly see what is getting done.
- All of your important documents and media in one place. File storage that is simple and linear.
- Various communication options. RSS, Email, Mobile Access and Web interfaces are just the beginning of how you can communicate.
- Free: $0/month
- Personal : $12/month
- Basic: $29/month
- Professional : $99/month
Projecturf is the Web-based project management app that helps individuals and businesses manage projects, people, and tasks. A project can be big or small, personal or business. Once a project is created, you add team members to the project who gain instant access to it via the Web. Within a project, there are tons of features and functions that can be done, such as creating and managing tasks, events on the calendar, and discussions; uploading and storing designs and documents; and analyzing project data using the Dashboard activity history and reporting.
- Projecturf keeps you up-to-date on all your projects and stores everything in one place, that is always accessible, secure, and backed up.
- Upload your own logo, create your own custom URL, change the colors, and tailor our app to suit your needs.
- Projecturf uses the highest level of security available on all accounts at all times.
- Pay only for your consumption. Pricing charts are built on project amount per month. Unlimited users, unlimited storage.
- 20 projects: $39.99/month
- 40 projects: $69.99/month
- 70 projects: $99.99/month
- 100 projects: $119.99/month
Apollo is project and contact management done right. Using Apollo, you will realize that it’s built to help you get things done, quickly and efficiently. With Apollo, you will always know where your projects, your contacts and your life are at and you will feel on top of everything — regardless of how hectic your schedule is.
- Keep everything under control – use the overview to keep track of what’s going on across all of your projects, calendars and personal tasks.
- Start interactive timers – with interactive timers, you can start a timer and keep track of how long you are spending on a task.
- See your project’s activity – in the activity screen you can see who did what on your project and who is allowed to access it.
- Set your milestones – you can assign a task list to a milestone, to divide your project into stages and throw a party when you complete a full stage.
- Basic: $23/month
- Plus: $48/month
- Premium: $96/month
- Max: $148/month
Basecamp is the top choice for entrepreneurs, freelancers, small businesses, and groups inside big organizations. Projects go well when people talk to each other, discuss issues openly, and communicate clearly. Basecamp is focused on making this easy.
- No more messy email threads. Post messages to Basecamp instead.
- Easily share files, documents, images, and designs with your clients or team.
- Assign to-dos with deadlines. Making to-do lists and adding to-do items literally just takes seconds.
- Templates jump start your project. Instead of creating new projects from scratch every time, use Basecamp project templates to set up standardized projects ahead of time.
- Plus: $49/month
- Premium: $99/month
- Max: $149/month
Huddle is the world’s leading cloud-based collaboration platform, used by 90,000 businesses and government organizations in more than 180 countries.
- Online file storage – Huddle encrypts all data exchanged with the server to industry standard levels as well as authenticating the server itself to the user.
- Discussions – quickly start discussions with team members and keep all conversations and comments in one central place.
- Tasks & files – immediately track deadlines and milestones for your projects. Attach files to specific tasks.
- Permissions – set granular permissions against each workspace or folder, controlling who can view specific items.
- $15/per user and month
Lighthouse will simplify your workflow so you can do the job you were hired to do. Collaborate effortlessly on projects. Whether you’re a team of 5 or studio of 50, Lighthouse will help you keep track of your project development with ease.
- Keep up with your project on the go – no matter where you are, we have the tools to keep you up to date on your project.
- We’ll organize. You work – Lighthouse has given you all the tools you need to organize your tickets – custom states, a powerful tagging system, an advanced search, saved searches (we call them ticket bins), and a mass editing tool.
- Setting your project goals – milestones help you group your tickets in timely releases.
- Plays well with others – thanks to Lighthouse’s robust API, there are already dozens of useful services that integrate with Lighthouse.
- Bronze: $25/month
- Silver: $50/month
- Gold: $100/month
Goplan lets you keep track of your projects and collaborate with your colleagues securely through an intuitive user interface. Goplan was developed to scratch developers own itch – they needed a better tool to manage our projects, communicate with clients, and organize our personal lives. Goplan has become a consumer-facing product ever since then.
- Everything in its right place – the Goplan dashboard gives you an overview of everything that’s happening with your company and your projects.
- Task management – organize your projects into tasks and milestones. Tasks can have any number of sub-tasks, with sub-tasks of their own.
- Issue tracking – if you’re running a software project, you’re probably aware of the notion of tickets and issue tracking. Tickets capture project defects, which can then prioritized and filtered.
- File management – upload files and documents directly to Goplan and have all your projects assets in one secure place.
- Startup: $10/month
- Professional: $35/month
- Unlimited: $80/month
Action Method by Behance is a task-management methodology designed to help creative thinkers push their ideas forward. Based on the power of capturing and managing tasks you need to complete, Action Method ensures ideas are executed. From beautifully designed paper products, to Action Method Online, to Action Method for iPhone, this system of products works together to maximize productivity, organization, and accountability.
- Capture Action Steps – action Steps are tasks that need to be completed. Each Action Step should start with a verb: “Call Y,” “Follow up with X,” “Buy a gift for Z.”
- Delegate tasks – you can delegate Action Steps to anyone with an email address. Once an Action Step is delegated, you can monitor its progress.
- Manage projects – all of your items in Action Method online are organized by project. A project could be a client, a project at work, a party you’re planning.
- Sync with mobile – automatically sync with your mobile device to manage your tasks wherever you are. No wifi required.
- Introductory: free
- Premium: $12/month
Rule – one application to make your business simply productive. People, CRM, Projects, Documents and more- all interacting and coexisting with total transparency online in an activity stream — so you can finally manage your business under one rule.
- The stream – know what’s happening in your business up to the moment. View, filter and collaborate on all activity for all Rule assets.
- Projects – simple, powerful, collaborative. Your Milestones, Tasks, Time Tracking, Project Calendar, Documents & Discussions come together to make project management what it should be.
- Docs – get busy sharing folders and files with multi-file upload and group/individual sharing and permissions.
- CRM – from the pipeline to your bottom line – manage customer relationships and the deal flow (sales cycle) process with the Rule CRM – integrated with your other valuable Rule assets.
- they’re prompting a free account however their TOS says that Rule.fm has 4 paid pricing plans
Freedcamp offers unlimited user and unlimited project solution for everyone, completely free, forever. By offering an amazing web application Freedcamp believes there will finally be a standard in project management.
- The dashboard is where you can get your morning cup of information about projects, important tasks, and recent activity.
- Discussions provide a forum-like experience, allowing you to create entries in a simple format. Use it to discuss ideas, give suggestions, and collaborate on the important things in life.
- Milestones are a great way to keep your projects on track. Set dates for each milestone in your project and then try to complete it by the due date.
- Keeping track of time is a fundamental part of project management. This is where you can keep a record of the amount of time you’ve spent on a specific task.
- completely free
Onehub makes large file sharing easy. Secure, fast and easy to use file sharing for any size business. Manage projects, share files and collaborate with others. With Workspaces and Transfers products Onehub has solutions to help growing businesses work more efficiently by improving communication and information sharing.
- Online Workspaces – organize your files by team, project, client or file type — it’s up to you.
- Content management – workspaces is a simple and secure way to manage your documents, media and content online.
- Secure sharing – share your Workspaces, folders or files with unlimited users on every plan, no per user fees.
- Real-time chat – the ideal way to collaborate with your team in real-time. See who is online in your workspace.
- Free: $0
- Personal: $29/month
- Team: $99/month
- Enterprise: $499/month
Keep on top of your projects with So1o. Intelligently track how much time you’ve spent and what you’ve spent it on. See how many days to deadline, what you’ve quoted and how close a project is to completion. Beautifully designed graphs show a visual breakdown of your project.
- Dashboard – the hub of the solo experience. The dashboard allows you to easily keep track of the day-to-day things that really matter.
- Projects – keep on top of your projects with Solo. Intelligently track how much time you’ve spent and what you’ve spent it on.
- Diary – manage deadlines, milestones , meetings, tasks and todo’s all in one place.
- Invoicing – electronically send invoices directly to your clients, Solo lets you know when they’re due to be paid, are overdue or need to be sent.
WORKetc combines CRM, project management, billing, sales, support and more with a powerful automation engine to help take your small business to the next level.
- Manage your entire customer lifecycle in one application, and easily reference any part of that lifecycle through detailed contact histories.
- Save time and effort by automatically converting sales leads into projects, duplicating existing projects, or using project templates.
- For recurring bills, use a list of products and attach these to customers and invoices. Set up shipping, local taxes, offer discounts, and manage commissions.
- Setting up reminders and to-dos across your business is as simple as a few clicks, and these can take the form of e-mail or RSS, so you can always be up to date even when you’re on the go.
- $39/per user and month (discount for more users)
ProWorkflow is the top project management software currently helping thousands of customers globally to optimize their business processes, manage staff resources, track projects, tasks and time and keep on top of it all.
- Web-based technology allows you to manage your company remotely.
- Get organized with the project manager & assign tasks to employees.
- The task manager allows you to create task lists for each employee, and see activity in real-time.
- Gain knowledge on company performance using the reports manager.
- Standard: €10/per user and month
- Professional: €20/per user and month
- Advanced: €30/per user and month
activeCollab is a project management and collaboration tool that installs on your server or local network. activeCollab gives you full control over your files and communications, with unlimited users, unlimited projects, and unlimited storage space – it grows with your company, with no monthly fees.
- Keep projects on track – activeCollab provides platform for planning, progress tracking and communication.
- Collaborate – work with your associates and clients, assign tasks, share files, get notified when something happens, discuss and comment.
- Email notifications – activeCollab sends you an email when something important happens.
- Be in control – install activeCollab on your server and invite people to work with you.
- Small Biz: $249
- Corporate: $499
16. Teamwork PM
Teamwork Project Manager is an easy-to-use online teamwork & project management software application that helps managers, staff and clients work together more productively online.
- Assign tasks to keep on top of everything – with Teamwork, you can assign tasks to staff, co-workers and contractors in seconds.
- Never miss a milestone again – with Teamwork, you can add Project Milestones to keep everybody on the project informed about key dates and goals.
- Project management – Teamwork allows you to take a birds eye view of all your projects and visualize your overall schedule.
- Track every hour – Teamwork allows you to track the time you spend on every project allowing you to keep projects on-cost and efficiently bill your clients.
- Personal: $12/month
- Business 1: $24/month
- Business 2: $49/month
- Corporate: $99/month
- Enterprise: $149/month
Conceptboard offers real time teamwork on thoughts and documents which you can share and discuss with your colleagues, customers & friends. Conceptboard is a great work space for your ideas, documents and pictures. It’s very intuitive and makes online collaboration easy as pie.
- Use your own files – edit your documents as if they were printed. Highlight, underline and more with just one click.
- Get things done on the iPad – Conceptboard is optimized for the iPad. There is no app you need to download, it works just fine in the browser.
- Comment without the fuss – opinions, ideas, thoughts – comment directly on the object of discussion.
- Work live with your team – discuss drafts, make decisions and produce results. Work cooperatively on your boards in real time
- Basic: free
- Professional: $8/per user and month
- Enterprise: $25/per user and month
p>18. Zoho Projects
Zoho Projects is an online project management software with collaboration and bug tracking that allows project teams to collaborate and get work done faster. Planning and Tracking helps you keep your project on schedule. Collaboration helps improve the communication within the team and keep everyone on the same page.
- With Zoho Projects planning your projects becomes a snap. Use milestones to organize projects, set dependency for your tasks, assign ownership and priorities.
- The bug tracker combines a clean interface to organize bugs with custom workflows, business rules and fix bugs which makes bug tracking painless and simple.
- Record your working hours. Export data and generate reports quickly with time-sheets.
- Create files directly on the browser without having to install any additional software. Tag files with labels and keep track of changes with the version history.
- Express: $20/month
- Premium: $35/month
- Enterprise: $80/month
TeamLab is a web-based platform for business collaboration and project management. It has been developed by Ascensio System Limited, a fast-growing company that offers IT-solutions for personal and corporate use.
- Project management – build teams and assign tasks. Schedule project milestones, track project activity and generate reports.
- Business collaboration – create posts in blogs and forums, view employee details. Share photos, bookmarks and Wiki pages.
- Time tracking – save information on time spent for a certain project task. Add details to the work done and generate time-tracking reports.
- Mobile full version – access your portal from Android or iOS mobile phone. Keep track of team and project activities regardless of your location.
SaaS, Open-Source, AMI: free
DeskAway is a web-based project collaboration software that provides teams a central location to easily organize, manage and track their projects & work. DeskAway is carefully hand-crafted by a small team of developers and designers. Each feature is custom-made to give you the ease of use and power to help you grow your business.
- Go green – DeskAway will have all your project stuff in a central location – project plans, reports, to-do’s, notes etc. This way you and your team are less likely to hit the print button. Save the trees and help conserve energy.
- Less email clutter – once you start using DeskAway, you will automatically have less email clutter in your inbox and no problems finding old project information.
- You control who sees what information – DeskAway’s permission-control system is built with the idea that not everyone should know and see everything.
- Nothing to download or install – since DeskAway is an on-demand business software delivered on the Internet, there is nothing to install, compile or configure.
- Professional: $35/month
- Plus: $49/month
- Power: $99/month
Working on a Product Launch? Got a Team? Producteev is a dead simple, fast, smart Task Management platform connected to your daily communication services.
- Multiple team support – manage multiple teams with Producteev using simple, built-in features.
- Filters and reports – easily generate useful reports on project and team activity.
- Overview – see a real-time overview of what’s been accomplished and what should be done next for each team and project with integrated activity feeds, timelines, and alerts.
- Producteev Academy – turn task management into a social game. The Academy is a built-in, fun competition to see who can get the most done.
- Free: $0
- Plus: $5/month
- Premium: $20/month
- Platinum: $30/month
Kapost is an online newsroom for web publishing also used by 1stwebdesigner. Kapost handles the entire content production process: from pitch to payment and everything in between. Enable your editorial team to focus on audience and content, not administrative tasks. Easily scale your set of contributors.
- Kapost moves the content production process on to its online workflow: from pitches & story ideas, to assignments & editorial calendars, to drafts & publishing, and into performance and payment tracking.
- Kapost enables the entire production workflow to be moved online. In Kapost, anyone can create Story Ideas, which can be closed or approved and assigned.
- Track the performance of your content in terms of page views, uniques, re-tweets, FB Likes, etc.
- Easily automate the tracking of the payment of your contributors. Kapost handles the calculation and reporting of payments.
- Starter: free
- Standard: $8/month
- Plus: $15/month (coming soon)
Campfire is a web-based group chat tool that lets you set up password-protected chat rooms in just seconds. Invite a client, colleague, or vendor to chat, collaborate, and make decisions. Link to a room on your intranet for internal communications.
- Basecamp integration – use Campfire with Basecamp, the leading web-based project collaboration tool.
- Live image previews – upload a GIF, JPG, or PNG, and it shows up right in the chat room.
- Conference calling – invite your chat room to a voice conference call with a single click.
- Jump back in time – read past chat transcripts anytime you want. Campfire keeps a history.
- Basic: $12/month
- Plus: $24/month
- Premium: $49/month
- Max: $99/month
Socialcast is an enterprise collaboration platform that unites your company’s people, data, and applications in real-time. Socialcast’s software creates a flexible, simple, data-rich collaborative space where employees can find information from applications, systems, and people across the enterprise.
- Activity Streams are the future of enterprise collaboration, uniting people, data, and applications in real-time in a central, accessible, virtual interface.
- Contribute to an evolving hub of company information with every note, question, and document shared.
- Social Business Intelligence is a suite of analytics that provides real-time feedback and actionable insights into the employees, topics, and information-sharing occurring in your Socialcast community.
- User Roles enables community administrators to grant people access to social tools such as Reach, Social Business Analytics and External Contributors, providing people with the resources and information they need to get work done faster.
- Basic: free
- Enterprise: contact the service
Flowdock creates a bridge between conversation and knowledge management. You don’t have to use clumsy tools like instant messaging, IRC or email for group conversation on one hand, and wikis, ticketing systems etc for knowledge management on the other. With Flowdock, you can reduce your ways to a light-weight, effortless process, where the conversation flows and the barrier of creating knowledge is diminished.
- Real-time group chat – Flowdock’s efficient real-time group chat saves you time and helps your team get answers right away.
- Easy file sharing & storage – upload mockups, images, code snippets, presentations or other documents to Flowdock and share them with others instantly.
- Bring your systems together – Flowdock integrates your wikis, project management tools, customer feedback, Twitter feeds and much more into one simple feed.
- Constant brainstorm – with Flowdock, recording ideas or gathering knowledge is just as easy as chatting. Just jot down the idea in the chat, tag it and it’s immediately saved and shared with the team.
- Team: $19/month
- Unit: $39/month
- Department: $79/month
- Division: $159/month
Whether you want to brainstorm ideas for your next big project or you just want to keep track of tasks, Thoughtboxes makes it fun and easy. With a single click, you can share your thoughts with anyone, or collaborate privately with your friends, family, and co-workers.
Peers.me offers hosted conversations to keep everyone involved in an easy way. By using Peers.me for group communication your email inbox stays clean. No fancy stuff, Peers.me is all about communication. And Peers.me is free up to 10 users.
BrixHQ makes online agile project management and collaboration easy and cost effective.
- Dashboard – the Dashboard gives you a visual snapshot of where your projects are at via; The Wall, Gantt Chart, My Tasks and Graphs.
- The wall – visualize all your projects and tasks on the wall.
- Gantt Chart – the Gantt Chart gives you a graphical representation of your tasks and where they are all at.
- Reports – reporting is part of all projects; use some flexible reports to ensure your needs are met
- Up to 10 users: $19.99/month
- Up to 100 users: $99.99/month
- 100 Plus: $199.99/month
Podio is an online platform with a new take on work and how it gets done. It gives people more power than they’ve ever had before to do everyday work better, smarter and in their own way. Podio is used by a variety of teams and organizations for a wide range of purposes. For the first time ever you can create your own work tools and shape the way you work.
- Discover the easy way to run projects – smple yet fully flexible. Enjoy successfully finished projects.
- Product development – boost your development process. Stay on top of customizable workflows. Leverage team power to create great products.
- CRM & lead management – stay on top of all your business relations. Fully customizable to close more deals and know your customers better.
- Event management – all you need to organize great events. Easily keep track of budgets, participants and your team’s tasks.
- Up to 10 users: free
- $4/per user and month
Scadaplan is a project management and collaboration tool for small and middle groups. There are many similar programs can be found across the internet, which consist of functions like Tasks, Deadlines, Calendars, Comments, etc. The Scadaplan team has tried using dozen of similar programs, working in the design and development industry for 9 years. This is why they have decided to develop something of their own and to let the people use their product.
- Create, track and collaborate – it takes seconds to create, assign and name your task. Every task has built-in timer to log work time and plan your goals.
- Plan and analyze – with Scadaplan calendar you’ll see the whole picture of your team. Besides today’s everyone`s tasks, you can see future work and analyze past projects.
- Never miss a thing – being used to Like-facebook notifications, you will be able to be aware of all updates and actions with necessary tasks.
- Microbe: $9.99/month
- Lab: $29.99/month
- Factory: $49.99/month
Now you now what are the best tools to keep up with your team that works on a project. However we’re sure that you have some other things to keep an eye on. This is why we are presenting you with tools that can automate your online activities.
20 Cool IFTTT Recipes To Automate Your Online Activities
How many hours do you spend daily on online activities such as checking email inbox, tweeting, and sharing stuff on social media? Even though those activities are necessary, sometimes it becomes a distraction for our main tasks. IFTTT is the best service available currently for automating such tasks. IFTTT has number of channels which triggers on certain conditions and executes a specified action on other channels. You can automate most time consuming tasks by using IFTTT recipes.
Channels for IFTTT Recipes
In this roundup I am going to provide 20 Cool automations, which are known as recipes created by people around the world. Hope you enjoy.
1. Thanks for following!
Every blog owner knows the importance of a new follower for your Twitter page. This recipe can be used to thank the new followers using a tweet and let them know that they are important for the site.
Created By bestseoreview
2. Tweet whenever I post a link on Facebook
Recipe that can be used to automate the tweeting process based on your Facebook page update.
Created By bombernitros
3. Gmail notification of new email
Get SMS updates on email based on certain search criteria. You can use is:unread to get SMS updates on every new email. Great to have feature, when you don’t have an internet connection available.
Created By jagfun
4. Get an SMS alert before any event starts on your Google Calendar
This recipe lets you receive SMS alerts just before an event starts on your Google Calendar. Excellent solution for situations, where you don’t have internet access.
Created By linden
5. Any time you add a new WordPress post it updates your Facebook fan page, giving post title and link
Facebook fan page very important for webmaster as your RSS feed. Every time a post is updated, Facebook fans should be notified via the fan page update. This recipe lets you automate the posting on Facebook page based on WordPress post update.
Created By clavejones
6. Download file from gmail
Send an email containing a link of file to be downloaded with specific a keyword for downloading purposes and get the file downloaded automatically to your Dropbox account. Use “downloadthis” as the subject and link as the body. No other content like signatures should be included.
Created By darkmyth
7. Place new followers in “new followers” Twitter list. You can organize them later.
Every day we might get followers to our Twitter account. It is not always possible to check about new followers whenever they follow you. It’s important to know about these new followers since they might be your future clients. So this recipe can be used to add every new follower to a Twitter list. Then you can organize them later and clear the list accordingly.
Created By glirette
8. Create Twitter list from Twitter hashtag participants
This recipe can be used when you want to find users who talks about specific topics. Define a hashtag (#1stWD) and whenever someone tweets with this hashtag, user will be added to your Twitter list.
Created By biotimylated
9. Backup Pinterest to Dropbox
Once you provide the RSS feed url of your Pinterest account, IFTTT will automatically download the images of the pins when a new item is added to the RSS feed.
Created By thechristopherbruce
10. Note down ideas in Evernote from Gtalk
Send a chat message using Gtalk with a specific tag and create a note in Evernote. First you have to add [email protected] to your chat list and activate using a pin. Then every time you send a chat message with specific tag, a note will be created.
Created By dewang
11. Twitter search to mail
You can define a search text and send all the tweets that match the search criteria directly into your email inbox. Saves lot of time in researching for specific topic. Use with caution since it might generate large number of mails to your inbox in few minutes.
Created By peteryde
12. Tweets from a user to an email
Generally all users follow number of people. It’s not practical to read every tweet by your followers. Sometimes we like tweets from specific users and we want to follow all the tweets created by them. In such case we can use this recipe to watch tweets from specific username and send it to your email.
Created By dubukat
13. Schedule Tweets using Google Calendar
Tweets can be scheduled to publish at certain times. This will reduce the overhead of logging into account every time you need to tweet. Create events in Google Calendar using specific keyword (ex ScheduleTweet) and IFTTT will automatically publish the tweet when the calendar event occurs.
14. Send links tagged with #db to be saved to Dropbox
Send a link of the file to be downloaded to [email protected] with a specific tag and get the file downloaded automatically to your Dropbox account.
Created By steveedson
15. Adds new calendar entries from new emails matching search criteria
Define a search criterion for incoming mails which needs to be added to calendar. You can define subject as newevent and put as search criteria. When a new email with subject containing newevent comes in, the body content will be added as a Google Calendar event.
Created By rs666
16. New tweet by you ➪ update bio
Your Twitter bio message will be set to the latest tweet whenever you create a new tweet on your account.
Created By alexander
17. Save Favorite Tweets in a single Evernote
Tweets marked as favorite will be added to single note in a given notebook with specified tags.
Created By stevepaulo
18. Tweet via Google Talk
Send a chat message to [email protected] with a specific tag and post a tweet on your Twitter account automatically.
Created By marshall24
19. Add events to Google Calendar via Google Talk
Send a chat message to [email protected] with a #cal in your message and create Google Calendar event automatically.
Created By marshall24
20. When Updating WordPress, Update LinkedIn
This recipe can be used to update your LinkedIn profile with the latest blog posts from the site.
Created By jonfinnangelo
Now, doesn’t this make it easier to be focusing on important tasks that your project needs. We sure think so. Tell us what is your opinion on this? To make focusing on project deadlines an easier task, we are going to provide you with some great tips to help you do that. It’s focused on freelancer, but It can work for anybody.
6 Tips to Stay Focused on Project Deadlines
Staying focused on your goals may be difficult at times as a freelancer. Not having a nine-to-five job, selecting your own clients, setting your own rates and deadlines and also doing PR work for yourself is quite different than being a full-time employee in a web design agency, where many of the things above are done by different individuals or departments.You can do this by following some of these techniques. It is not physics, chemistry or math. They’re all easy to follow, therefore I think you should give them a try if you struggle with keeping yourself on schedule.
1. Be a perfectionist
Designers and developers usually need to hold perfectionism at bay, as we are creative individuals. All artists in the world have a tendency to try reaching for perfectionism. You need to know when your piece of work still needs more polishing, or when it is done. Wasting time with improving something that can’t be improved will not make help you manage your time.
Looking objectively at your projects is the solution to this. Also, it has something to do with the initial planning process. If you’ve done it right, there is no reason to go back and add something. Just because you found a cool new feature on the internet halfway through the development process doesn’t mean you have to integrate it. There is always the next project and it is probably too late to integrate something new in a current project.
If you always look for that perfect design (nothing wrong with this, by the way) you will find yourself spending more time analyzing then actually finishing the project. This needs to be worked out, as the client expects you to finish your work on time. Getting your personal feelings in the way of your work is also something you should avoid doing, as feelings have nothing to do with the business.
2. Pre-defined time for each task
This is what project managers are good at: Planning and defining time spans for each phase of a project, you need to have a solid plan in place in order to be successful.
A solid plan means working on a specific task one at a time. This will ensure you stay fully focused on the one task you have to do and therefore finish earlier or at least in time. Beginning with a typical routine is likely to wake you up in the morning or help you relax in the afternoon, therefore place them in the beginning or in the end of your work plan. Checking e-mails, Facebook, Twitter or your RSS feed are potential good routines for such times.
I am sure most of us work best when we can focus 100% on the specific task in front of us. I am also sure about the fact that the ones who can’t always reach deadlines are good at undergoing the routines mentioned above all the time. This is not good because it interrupts your workflow and concentration and slows you down. Not letting yourself get distracted is where you should begin. If you feel staying focused is one of your issues, then concentrate on working only!
Taking breaks is something recommended because none of us can work for eight hours straight. Take a 15 minutes break every two hours or a five minute break every hour and this will likely keep you fresh. Don’t forget about eating and drinking during these breaks, as a hungry person will never have enough energy to work.
3. Have a daily plan
If you work on a freelance project, you are likely to be working on your own, so you don’t depend on anybody else. This means you can have your own schedule, as nobody will influence it. Have a daily plan all the time. Break it into small tasks and, at the end of the day, see what was good and what was not. It isn’t always easy to plan ahead, but you can use this to see where it goes wrong for you. You may even notice after keeping track of your program that you are very unproductive during a certain time span.
Having a daily plan is also good for your confidence. Keeping a close eye on every phase of a project will likely make you feel better at the end of each day. Most of us break projects into larger tasks and only feel accomplished once per week, or who knows how seldom. If you manage to do something every day (and keep track of it) you will feel accomplished more often.
While planning, you can also think of keeping something out on purpose. It is always better to finish more than planned at the end of the day, then to finish less. Therefore many freelancers are in a bad mood at the end of the day. When planning to finish a lot of work and not everything is done by the end of the day, there is a feeling of disappointment. This can’t happen if, before going to sleep, you notice you are a step further down the road than expected few hours before. This will also make you feel better the second day and will probably make you look forward to further developments.
4. Work breakdown structure
Having a to-do list might work well for small projects, but once you start working on a larger scale, small lists might not be so effective.
The work breakdown structure (WBS) is something I learned about during my first year as a student. Breaking down more complex projects into smaller phases is a popular project management concept. If you have lists with large, complicated activities, checking them off at the end of the day is not likely to happen, therefore you need to break the work down into smaller bits. Having sub-lists with smaller tasks will be more rewarding for you at the end of the day.
Breaking work into smaller phases might feel uncomfortable in the beginning, but it is very rewarding in the end. The main reason behind this is to make you feel better about the project and the work you’ve completed and to make you look forward to finish it and check it off the list.
5. Larger scale management
Besides the small to-do lists and the WBS you do quite often, having a detailed monthly schedule is also recommended. Planning in advance can’t go wrong when you think of it very well. Scheduling routines is very easy with online tools such as Google Calendar, therefore trying this out for a project is something you should consider. Now I am not saying this will work for everybody, but being organized is the first step into learning how to better manage your time.
6. Reward yourself
This is something I didn’t try myself, but one of my co-workers recommended it to me. He has a reward for himself at the end of each week. It makes him look forward to reaching his goals and to the next week. Now don’t think he goes to Hawaii every weekend. His rewards are different, from small things like watching an extra hour of TV to playing video games, going out or surfing the web without having to work at the same time, to bigger things like taking a weekend off once in a while. He finds a different reward every time and keeps his work life challenging.
My friend also told me that if he finishes a task earlier than planned, he rewards himself again. Many of us try to complete the project faster, but he doesn’t. When I asked him what he does then, he answered:
“I have a strong schedule, I think about it a lot before submitting it to the client. If I finish a smaller task earlier, I take the rest of the day off. I deserve it! I never work more than planned, however I am also always on time with my work, so I never have to work more than planned either. The secret behind this is the amount of hours I put into planning and creating schedules.”
Being able to focus better on deadlines is something all of us are capable of; we just need to make the effort. Whenever I write an article on this topic or give someone some advice, I end up with the same conclusion: it is impossible to be good at maintaining your schedule if you are not organized.
Being organized is where everything starts. It is helpful for all of us because otherwise it is a tough job to keep track of all the things we are in charge of. For individuals that do not have a fixed schedule from nine to five, self-discipline is the only way to success.
Until next time, how easy is it for you to focus on deadlines? Have you ever had problems with delivering on time, or is this something you need to improve?
As you create your beautiful designs you need to get feedback. It can be from your client, but it’s probably a good idea to see what the community thinks about it. That’s why we have created this following list of great sites and tools to get the best feedback on your work.
Getting Real Feedback For Your New Design, Usability Testing
Getting feedback is very important in each work, because it really can improve our works, see do others react and understand your design the same way you do and of course to let you understand how your readers,visitors think. Here we’ve have collected various feedback, collaboration tools/websites as well as several sites offering you to create polls really easy – ask in Twitter, Facebook and get responses immediately!
They’ve made it easy, simply paste a couple of links to your design(s) below and they’ll have one of our critics get on the job.
Join companies & organizations of all sizes that already depend on UserVoice for feedback. Uservoice communities are the easiest way to turn customer feedback into action:
- Share ideas.
- Vote up the best.
- Respond, implement & repeat!
3. Get Signoff
If you struggle to get design approval from your clients, Get Signoff is the tool you’ve been waiting for. Manage feedback and design revisions simply and elegantly.
ConceptShare is a simple, cost-effective tool for gathering feedback from team members and clients. Easily share media and invite others to add and reply to comments, approve artwork, and markup on visuals.
Launchly lets you find and provide feedback to new websites.
It’s a social support application for engaging your customer community to reduce support costs, build buzz and collect feedback. Unify interactions across your Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, and mobile apps. For companies of all sizes.
Suggestion box is the exciting new way to send suggestions and then watch ideas turn into action. The one place where individuals can share ideas with every company, group, organization, and product on the planet. The best part of a free individual membership is that it’s interactive. People can stay in the loop by tracking their ideas, connecting with people, and improving the things around them.
Test any website, web app, prototype or intranet, with large numbers of users, all over the world, in their natural environment.
The most simple way to test with real users. More than 5200 companies use Usabilla for remote usability tests.
- Usability feedback in every stage of your design process.
- Participants point & click to share their opinion.
- Clear visualizations to analyze your results.
- Available in 20 languages, any other language on request.
- No installation required.
Fully hosted solution leveraging user feedback to increase conversion rates, reduce churn and improve customer satisfaction and loyalty.
WAVE is a free web accessibility evaluation tool provided by WebAIM. It is used to aid humans in the web accessibility evaluation process. Rather than providing a complex technical report, WAVE shows the original web page with embedded icons and indicators that reveal the accessibility of that page.
Simple usability testing.
- Record users from anywhere – remotely or locally.
- Share video results with your clients or team members.
- Completely web-based. No software for you or your test participants to install.
- Unlimited projects and test scenarios (within your storage limit).
Redmark helps designers and their clients communicate visually in just three simple steps. Redmark helps graphic designers work better and faster.
14. UX Booth
The UX Booth is a blog about and for the User Experience Community. Together, they are writing articles and sharing resources on usability, user experience, and interaction design.
16. Concept Feedback
Concept Feedback provides quick, actionable feedback from thousands of qualified, professional designers and developers.
Verist Labs is a web application that radically transforms the way companies listens and act upon the voice of the people. Manage online reputation through social media monitoring. Also create a direct channel for people to share their complaints, feedback and ideas.
- Listen to what is being said about you on the web
- Listen to complaints, get ideas, get feedback
- Act on it & build great product & services
18. Feedback Army
Simple, Cheap Usability Testing for Your Website. Start a usability test for your site in two minutes. Submit questions about your site and receive 10 responses from our reviewers. The cost is $15.
Five second tests are simple usability tests that help you measure the effectiveness of your designs. Conducting a five second test allows you to find out which parts of your designs are the most prominent.
ProofHQ is an online proofing system that streamlines the process of managing design reviews and approvals.
Easiest way for teams to provide feedback on websites. Quickly and easily give feedback on design, content, and code on any page of a website or application without leaving your browser.
Twitter And Facebook Polls
Engage Your Customers. Ask Questions. Get Feedback.
Available only for Twitter!
Poll Everywhere replaces expensive proprietary audience response hardware with standard web technology. It’s the easiest way to gather live responses in any venue: conferences, presentations, classrooms, radio, tv, print — anywhere. It can help you to raise money by letting people pledge via text messaging. And because it works internationally with texting, web, or Twitter, its simplicity and flexibility are earning rave reviews.
Poll your twitter friends, settle a long-standing debate or just collect opinions.
Available only for Twitter!
Create a poll and send it to your Twitter followers in seconds. No account necessary!
SocialToo is your companion to the Social web! SocialToo helps you manage Twitter and Facebook and unclutters your stream and Social Graph so you can focus on what’s most important – relationships!
Creates a simple twitter poll!
Available only for Twitter!
Twitqa is a place where you can see the twitters interacting with each other in a most knowledgeable way.Everything is asked,answered and discussed by people like you.
Available only for Twitter!
Ask questions, give answers and learn more about your friends.
Available only for Facebook!
This is the premier polling application on Facebook. Create polls for your Facebook pages and Profile pages. Ask your friends or fans questions you want or create contests for your fans thanks to Polls! Very simple and easy to use. You can also add pictures, videos or links into your polls.
Available only for Facebook!
These tools are amazing, but we got some more to offer. Do you know all the products Google offers and how they can help you in your every day work? That’s why we are here. Let’s take a look at them.
The Most Useful Google Products You Should Consider Using Daily
Most of us are using Google and its services everyday. Their search engine, Gmail and Youtube are some the most popular Google products. Google has dozens of undiscovered, yet excellent products, people don’t know about. In Google Labs itself you can find plenty of useful tools and products for web designers and developers. Furthermore all Google services are free to use and that makes them appealing alternatives to paid products of a similar nature. For example, Google Docs can be a great alternative for Microsoft Office.
Google News is a computer-generated news site that aggregates headlines from news sources worldwide, groups similar stories together and displays them according to each reader’s personalized interests. The articles are selected and ranked by computers that evaluate, among other things, how often and on what sites a story appears online.
Google Reader constantly checks your favorite news sites and blogs for new content. Whether a site updates daily or monthly, you can be sure that you won’t miss a thing. With your Google Reader public page, you can share your favorite items with your friends, simply by sending them to relevant links.
With Google Bookmarks, you can save shortcuts to your favorite webpages and navigate to them in seconds. Unlike browser bookmarks that are stored on a single computer, Google bookmarks are stored in your Google Account. This means you can access them from any computer with an internet connection.
Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results (web, news, etc.) based on your choice of query or topic. Enter the topic you wish to monitor, then click preview to see the type of results you’ll receive.
Google Sites is a free and easy way to create and share web pages. With Google Sites you can easily create rich web pages, collect all your info in one place and control who can view and edit it. You don’t need any knowledge of HTML and it’s free to use.
With Google Trends, you can compare the world’s interest in your favorite topics. Enter up to five topics and see how often they’ve been searched on Google over time. Google Trends also shows how frequently your topics have appeared in Google News stories, and in which geographic regions people have searched for them most.
7. Gmail Labs
Gmail Labs is a testing ground for experimental features that aren’t quite ready for primetime. While you may find some awesome stuff there, you have to keep in mind that these features can break at any time or disappear altogether. However they may work so well that they graduate and become regular features.
Google Contacts is a place to import, store and view all of the contact information that’s important to you. You can also create your own groups of contacts to easily email many people at once.
Knol is a Google project that aims to include user-written articles on a range of topics. Knol allows you to communicate, collaborate and share your knowledge with the world.
Google Moderator is a tool that allows distributed communities to submit and vote on questions for talks, presentations and events. Suggested questions as well as user votes are seen in real-time.
With Google Tasks you can add new tasks, set due dates or add notes, and (most satisfyingly) check them off as you’re done. Your task list stays up to date no matter how you access it. It’s a simple list that’s with you everywhere you go. You can access Google Tasks from your Google Mobile, Gmail, Calendar or iGoogle.
With Google Docs you can create and share your work online and access your documents from anywhere. Manage documents, spreadsheets, presentations, surveys, and more all in one easy to use productivity suite. What’s handy you can embed your created forms and use them in websites.
13. Fusion Tables
Google Fusion Tables is a modern data management and publishing web application that makes it easy to host, manage, collaborate on, visualize, and publish data tables online. There’s also a gadget that that helps you create animated flash charts & graphs for your web pages, blogs & Google Pages.
14. Double Click
Google’s DoubleClick products provide ad management and ad serving solutions to companies that buy, create or sell online advertising. The world’s top marketers, publishers, ad networks and agencies use DoubleClick products as the foundation for their online advertising businesses. With deep expertise in ad serving, media planning, search management, rich media, video and mobile, our DoubleClick products help customers execute their digital media strategy more effectively.
15. Art Project
With Google Art Project you can explore museums from around the world, discover and view hundreds of artworks at incredible zoom levels, and even create and share your own collection of masterpieces.
Google Shopper helps you find information on millions of products. Google Shopper recognizes products by cover art, barcode, voice and text search. You can find local and online prices, reviews, specifications, videos, and more to help you make the best purchasing decision. With one click you can save items to your shopping list and share with your friends.
17. Voice Actions
Voice Actions for Android lets you control your phone using your voice. Call contacts and businesses, send messages, browse the web, and complete common tasks. You can do pretty much anything with it – send simple text messages or get directions.
19. Code Labs
In Google Code Labs, you’ll find developer products that are experimental. Some of these will one day graduate out of labs, others may remain experimental or even be shut down. That’s what a lab is for. Likewise, graduating from Google Code Labs is a big step that indicates our long-term commitment to that product.
20. Webmaster Tools
Google Webmaster Tools provides a free and easy way to make your website more Google friendly. With webmaster Tools you can see how Google crawls, indexes and ranks your website, see how many people found your site in search results, and how many people clicked on it and much more.
Google Browser Size is a visualization of browser window sizes for people who visit Google. For example, the “90%” contour means that 90% of people visiting Google have their browser window open to at least this size or larger.
Update – This tool is now part of Google Analytics
22. Page Speed
Page Speed Online analyzes the content of a web page, then generates suggestions to make that page faster. Reducing page load times can reduce bounce rates and increase conversion rates.
23. Web Toolkit
reCAPTCHA is a free CAPTCHA service that protects your site against spam, malicious registrations and other forms of attacks where computers try to disguise themselves as a human; a CAPTCHA is a Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Human Apart. reCAPTCHA comes in the form of a widget that you can easily add to your blog, forum, registration form, etc
25. Web Elements
Google Web Elements allow you to easily add your favorite Google products to your website. It’s a great alternative if you don’t want to create your own search engine, for instance.
Installable web apps are a way of making Google Chrome treat certain websites like apps. People can find installable web apps using the Chrome Web Store. Many installable web apps are hosted apps—normal websites with a bit of extra metadata. You can build and deploy hosted apps exactly as you would build and deploy any web app, using any server-side or client-side technologies you like.
Google Dashboard is an online tool that allows Google Account holders to view all their personal information Google is storing on their servers. It’s pretty handy to manage all your Google service accounts at one place and keep them up to date.
There are actually many more products, especially for you designers and developers. Like I mentioned before, Google has a great number of lesser known, yet powerful, development and coding tools. Listing them all would be useless, however there’s no reason why you shouldn’t check them out yourself. Here are some websites where you can learn about Google products and their features.
This is from our side to present you with all important tools that can help you with your daily work on projects and dealing with deadlines. We would love to hear form you, what do you use to make it easier for you?