Are you a fan of silhouette photography? Who isn’t, right?
Wikipedia defines silhouette as:
An image of a person, an object or scene consisting of the outline and a featureless interior, with the silhouetted object usually being black.
How To Capture Good Silhouette Photos:
- : Subject: Choose a good subject that you want to be blacked out or in silhouette. Make sure the subject that you choose should have a strong and clear outline.
- : Background: Make sure the background you choose is brighter than the subject itself. And if possible, no light should fall on your subject or a little light may do.
- : Light: Get your light right by putting it at back of your subject. For instance your source of light is the sun, make sure it is behind your chosen subject. Notice on the round ups above, the light source are behind each subject.
- : Exposure: Right exposure is equal to good silhouette picture. If you are in doubt with the exposure, adjust the exposure of the camera you are using. Shooting in different angles will also help in getting the right exposure.
- : Posing: Keep your photos as simple as possible. Put your subject where it will stand out from the rest of the objects on the background. If you are shooting a person or a group of people, it can help if they will pose in a position that the whole outline of the body will be captured well in details.
Now then, let’s get into our beautiful examples of silhouette photography!