Appearance is the first thing that makes an impression. The first thing we notice when we come across anything is the ambiance that is why the design of a web page is so important. From the beginning, web design trends have evolved and followed changes in technology and consumerism. We now talk about ‘mature’ technology. The technology of the late 90’s is history now.
Gadgets like iPhones, iPods, touch screen cell phones and note books are some of the highlights of the fast development in this world. Social websites are the new trend in the world of web design. People have higher demands and shorter attention spans, in order for a site to be effective it either has to be, or at least appear, effortless and usable. Along with these rapid developments, the essence of web designing is also groomed. A lot of researches have been taken to acknowledge the development in web designing which found some points that are essence of web designing. In this article, I elaborate them to show you their importance.
People are more aware of things that are happening around the world than ever before. It’s very easy to find information of almost any kind on the internet. There’s a trend in development and technology to make things act or appear more like their physical counterparts. According to psychological studies, humans naturally accept those thing that are relevant to their real life, rather then fantastical or imaginary things. Based on this theory, the following points should be kept in mind when designing websites.
- It’s important when creating a website to implement a realistic approach in the usability to make it more accessible.
- Colors effect the human psyche. The color scheme should be selected according to the taste of the website visitors.
- In some societies ‘the customer is always right’ also means ‘the client is always right’. It is important to know the demands of your client and what the requirements are for the website. On the basis of this information, the designer has to develop a webpage which is suitable for the profile of its visitors.
The idea that a website had to evoke an emotion of the visitor is a relatively new concept within the web design industry. With the emergence of e-commerce, marketing through websites has increased. All the well-known brands and companies are striving to gain as many viewers as they can through smart web designs. The websites that promote tourism or provide property guidance are the best examples of it.
- The design of the websites has to be developed with a proper sense of emotion for the targeted audience. Grab your audience’s attention through their emotions.
- Catch your audience through enhanced presentation. This is valid for web designing as well as for marketing.
- Web design is a modern form of art and the spirit of any art has to be a part of this contemporary art.
At the beginning of this new decade, a trend towards simplicity or minimalism has started to become more dominant within web design. Some scholars say the difference between a successful and an unsuccessful website lies in its simplicity. Jakob Nielsen stated simply
“Design is done for a reason, and if you do it well it will prosper. If you do it poorly, people will leave your website.”
Here are some good examples of websites that showcase usability:
- “KISS- Keep It Simple, Stupid! Or Keep It Simple and Straightforward” is at the core of a lot of great design.
- Make it effortless, the less people have to do to achieve their goal, the happier they’ll be and more often they’ll return.
- Organize the content in a logical way and create visual hierarchy where necessary.
- Simple websites load faster, something everyone loves.
- It is also economical to keep the web page simple. It requires less time to design, it’s easy to redesign and it uses less disk space and bandwidth.
- The paramount benefit of simple web design is that the website faces less trouble when it comes to compatibility with different browsers and platforms.
A simple web design can be accessed easily from anywhere whether you’re on a computer or using your mobile phone. In a world where people demand internet speed in Giga hertz, it is intelligent to have a website with a simple design.
Design for the User
Websites should be designed for the users of the website. The website’s audience plays an important role in the selection of graphics and color scheme so that the site can have a great impact on its visitors. If the design is distracting or irritating for the users it is of no use.
- A survey is the weapon of choice for most people to collect information about the likes and dislikes of the target audience.
- Create a profile of the users of the website and design the site according to the profile.
- Add responsiveness when designing a webpage for social communities as it is the demand of users to get connected.
- Interactivity and fun are the core reason for the success of many social networking sites.
- Facebook is a great example; this site is specifically designed to include responsiveness and communication. It is a very simple design to integrate portability so that it can be accessed easily by almost any device, anywhere, anytime.
These are some factors that I find essential to consider when designing a web page. All the websites I have included as examples are very popular because of the proper mix of design, responsiveness, interactivity and simplicity. They will surely help you design a modern web page that will leave a lasting impression.
GET EXCLUSIVE WORDPRESS & BUSINESS TIPS
Enter your email to join with 1WD in 2016. We will send you only the best content as well as special subscriber only tips to supercharge your WordPress website and how to succeed as freelance designer!